The 51-year-old Swiss banker was appointed as the temporary head of UBS after former chief executive Oswald Gruebel fell on his sword (with some pushing) and resigned following the $2.3 billion rogue trading loss that occurred under his watch. Ermotti is the leading candidate to get the top gig permanently, but it will be a complicated one. Even before the whole billions of dollars lost with no oversight, the bank was facing downsizing; insiders say Gruebel's unwillingness to do so actually had more to do with his swift exit than the rogue trading scandal. So that's one less person on the rolls.
Photo: Giuseppe Aresu/Bloomberg via Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 3. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 4. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 5. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 6. Seven Ways Tonight’s The Sound of Music Will Differ From the Classic Film
- 7. James Bond Shoots Child in Today’s Most Unfortunate Subway Ad Placement
- 8. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 9. The 5 Most Unintentionally Erotic Moments of Catching Fire