The Real Reason Mayor Bloomberg’s Deputy Stepped Down [Updated]

Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

When Stephen Goldsmith, the former Indianapolis mayor turned deputy mayor of operations for New York City, abruptly resigned on August 4 after just fifteen months on the job, it appeared that he was simply frustrated with the position, and that the Bloomberg administration was disappointed in his performance. As the Times reported:

Mr. Goldsmith never seemed to master the day-to-day mechanics of New York’s sprawling government or relish the political intricacies of the job, and dissatisfaction with his performance became widespread in City Hall, according to two aides to Mr. Bloomberg who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of angering the mayor.

Goldsmith's most memorable feat was overseeing the city's disastrous blizzard cleanup effort — a good indication that the job just wasn't working out for him. When he stepped down, Goldsmith claimed he simply wanted to pursue opportunities in the exciting field of infrastructure finance.

But it turns out that Goldsmith left for an altogether different reason. The Post reveals for the first time today that Goldsmith was arrested for domestic violence on the night of July 30 at his home Georgetown in Washington, D.C.:

The shocking cop report describes in dramatic detail how a "verbal altercation" between the former Indianapolis mayor, 64, and his wife in their ritzy house turned ugly around 11:30 p.m. on July 30.

"I should have put a bullet through you years ago!" Margaret, 59, allegedly told Goldsmith, the report revealed.

Stephen Goldsmith then "shoved [Margaret into] the kitchen counter," the report said.

"You're not going to do this to me again, I'm calling the police," Margaret responded, the report said.

Goldsmith "then grabbed the phone from her hands and threw it onto the ground, breaking the phone. He then grabbed [Margaret] and refused to let her go."

"She kept screaming, 'Let me go, let me go,' " as Stephen refused to let her out of his grasp, according to the report.

"She dug her nails into [Stephen's] forearms," causing him to release Margaret, who then "ran to the other room to call police."

Cops arrived and arrested Stephen for "simple assault domestic violence," the report said. Margaret complained of back pain but refused medical attention.

Goldsmith spent two days locked up in a DC jail, but prosecutors declined to press the case after Margaret said she didn't wish to pursue it.

A couple of days later, Goldsmith reportedly offered his resignation. Margaret Goldsmith told the Post that her husband didn't want to become a distraction, and we're guessing Bloomberg wasn't exactly begging him to stay on.

Deputy mayor quit after being busted for domestic violence [NYP]

Update: Though the Bloomberg administration has declined to comment, the Goldsmiths have released a statement in which they refute major points of the police report. According to Marjorie Goldsmith:

"There was no crime committed by Stephen or myself; there was no violence nor any physical harm. Clearly, the police report states otherwise. Upon reading the report, I immediately took steps to set the record straight and swore under oath that there was no physical harm and no crime was committed. No charges were ever filed. There were no injuries. There has never been any kind of domestic assault or violence in our marriage. The police report is a summary of what discussions occurred that evening in our home, and those comments have been misconstrued as well as taken out of context. "

Stephen Goldsmith added:

“Margaret and I agree that the facts have not been accurately portrayed. Because, according to the officers, DC law required an arrest, one was made over the objection of my wife and no charges were ever filed. Although Margaret under oath has affirmed the absence of violence and my actual innocence, I offered my resignation in order not to be a distraction to the mayor and his important agenda for the city. “