Yesterday, at a groundbreaking ceremony on the Brooklyn waterfront, Michael Bloomberg reportedly joked to a few other assembled elected officials, “I can’t wait for the last one. You have no idea.” Except he probably wasn't joking, just smiling while he said something very true! When asked to expand on that sentiment, he added "I like groundbreakings. I’ve just always thought that you could do something better with the dirt on your shovel on your last groundbreaking.” A spokesperson helpfully clarified that he meant (jokingly!) he wanted to shovel dirt on reporters. That was definitely a good way to get them not to write up the off-the-cuff remark. Definitely.
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode