It's stil unclear how, exactly, Muammar Qaddafi died. He was clearly captured alive, as these choppy (and bloody, and unsettling you've been warned) cell-phone videos prove. It seems likely that sometime after this footage was shot, Qaddafi was executed by his rebel captors. One official in the Libyan government, speaking anonymously to Reuters, said, "They beat him very harshly and then they killed him. This is a war." The United Nations, the United States, and Amnesty International have called for an investigation, but we're not sure whether anyone is really going to make a fuss about the human rights of a despised tyrant. Meanwhile, Qaddafi's body has yet to be buried because of disputes over where and how to do it. In his hometown of Sirte? In a secret location? In the ocean, à la Osama bin Laden? Until they make a decision, Qaddafi's mangled, half-naked body will continue to reside on a mattress in a cold meat locker.
Photo: PHILIPPE DESMAZES/AFP/Getty Images
- 1. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 4. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 5. Game of Thrones Recap: Weddings and White Walkers
- 6. Justin Bieber Collects Award, Publicly Sulks, Gets Booed
- 7. Weekend GOP Almost-Impeachment Update
- 8. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 9. Obama Administration’s War on Leakers Includes Reading Fox News’s E-mails