From the beginning of the year to September, the NYPD stopped, questioned, and frisked over half a million New Yorkers, according to a report from the New York Civil Liberties union. The aggressive initiative, introduced this year, puts the NYPD on track to frisk more people than even before, topping last year’s record total of 600,601 stops. And this one doesn’t even have anything to do with Occupy. The majority of those frisked live in low-income minority neighborhoods uptown. Very few stops took place below 59th Street.
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 3. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 4. Dan Harmon Got Rehired for Community for the Same Reason He Got Fired
- 5. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 6. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 7. Serena Williams Issues Pathetic Non-Apology [Updated]
- 8. Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced to Prison [Updated]
- 9. Mad Men’s Kiernan Shipka on Smoking, Eye Rolls, and What’s Next for Poor Sally Draper