It's been a good night for beleaguered Republican presidential candidates cracking wise. Like Herman Cain, Rick Perry is hoping that a goodwill tour of chuckles and "aw, shucks" appearances will deflect attention from his cringe-inducing brain freeze during Wednesday's debate. The forgetful candidate debuted a Top Ten list of "Rick Perry Excuses" on tonight's Late Show with David Letterman.
Read for yourself and decide whether they're as funny as Cain's Anita Hill joke:
10. Actually, there were three reasons I messed up last night. One was the nerves, and two was the headache and three … um … uh … oops.
9. I don’t know what you’re talking about – I think things went well.
8. I was up late last night watching Dancing with the Stars.
7. I thought the debate was tonight.
6. You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude!
5. Uh, El Niño?
4. I had a 5-hour Energy Drink six hours before the debate.
3. I really hoped it would get me on my favorite talk show, but instead, I ended up here.
2. I wanted to help take the heat off my buddy Herman Cain.
1. I just learned Justin Bieber is my father.
Yes, Mitt Romney is handsome. But what about Jon Huntsman? Maybe Perry should give him a second look.