The "pedestrian volume index" at 50 of the city's most crowded intersections keeps rising, and transportation commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan is blinded by inexplicable optimism: "People like to be around people," she said, while also noting the economic and health benefits of having congested sidewalks. "With 8.4 million people, you don't live here unless you like people." That is an interesting theory. Dear 8.4 million people: walk faster.
Photo: DON EMMERT/2006 AFP
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 3. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 4. Atheist Billboard in Times Square Specifically Designed to Make Sarah Palin’s Head Explode
- 5. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 6. How to Have Sex in Communal Living Spaces
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Is This the World’s Worst Selfie?
- 9. Why You’re So Sad About Paul Walker’s Death