One of the men shot by "subway vigilante" Bernhard Goetz in 1984 died of an apparent drug overdose yesterday, exactly 27 years after he was wounded on a New York City subway platform. James Ramseur was released from prison last year after serving 25 years for rape, but was better known as part of the polarizing Goetz drama, in which some people in the crime-ridden city celebrated a white man's shooting of four black teenagers whom he said tried to rob him. The kids said they just asked for $5. Ramseur fell into a coma after the shooting and, once healed, was in and out of court and jail before ending his life yesterday in a Bronx motel room. He did not leave a note.
Photo: New York Daily News Archive/1985/Daily News, L.P. (New York)
- 1. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 2. Beyoncé Just Dropped an Album With No Warning
- 3. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 4. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 5. Kate Middleton "Dares" to Wear a Dress Three Times
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 8. House Passes Budget After Boehner Flips Out on Conservative Opponents
- 9. The Heritage Uncertainty Principle