The New Republic, the prestigious and money-losing Washington journal of politics and culture that's up for sale yet again, might get just the kind of owner it needs: One with very deep pockets, who doesn't need the magazine to even come close to turning a profit. Chris Hughes, one of the co-founders of Facebook, is reportedly very interested in the property. He's got a net worth that's estimated at somewhere around $700 million, and he's just 28. While most of his contemporaries might spend their haul on less Serious Stuff, Hughes has already demonstrated that he's interested in the political world. He worked as the Obama campaign's director of online organizing in 2008.
Photo: SeongJoon Cho/Bloomberg via Getty Images
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 5. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 6. Trent Franks’s Abortion Bill Passes the House, With One Last Gaffe
- 7. Serena Williams Thinks Steubenville Rape Victim ‘Shouldn’t Have Put Herself in That Position’ [Update]
- 8. Miami Heat Fans Leave Game Early, Beg to Get Back in After Incredible Rally, Are the Worst
- 9. Fucking on the First Date? How It Worked Out for 8 Women