Supermarket billionaire and big-time political donor Ron Burkle is starting his 2012 off right. The investor is making moves in concert promotion, movies, and magazines this week, using his investment firm Yucaipa to pull off three separate deals. A subsidiary of the firm, Y Entertainment, purchased New York agency Artist Group International, which books concerts for the likes of Metallica and Billy Joel, and also bought a minority stake in the independent movie studio Relativity, which will release Julia Roberts's Snow White adaptation Mirror Mirror this year. Burkle, in partnership with Magic Johnson, also purchased BlackBook Media, including its flagship magazine and software arm Access Network. The pair already own the magazines Vibe and Uptown. Burkle's next holiday party better be bonkers.
Photo: Patrick McMullan/PatrickMcMullan.com
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode