While Olympia Snowe's sudden, surprise departure from the Senate — even for her own staffers, who only had a few hours notice — and her statement alluding to "unique opportunities" to "find solutions that unite rather than divide us" certainly seemed like a nod to Americans Elect, Ileana Wachtel, a spokesman for the centrist group, told us this morning that Snowe hasn't had any discussions with them about running for president. That's not to say Americans Elect wouldn't be interested."We admire her statement and courage in speaking the truth and taking a stand against the current state of gridlock in Washington," Wachtel told us over email, "and urging those in power to come together to govern with civility." Minutes later, Americans Elect tweeted out this message: "So @jonathanchait thinks #OlympiaSnowe may want to support us: http://ow.ly/9mDYG How about it @SenatorSnowe? #snowe #crashtheparty."
Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. Dan Harmon Got Rehired for Community for the Same Reason He Got Fired
- 5. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 6. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 7. Serena Williams Issues Pathetic Non-Apology [Updated]
- 8. Miami Heat Fans Leave Game Early, Beg to Get Back in After Incredible Rally, Are the Worst
- 9. Mad Men’s Kiernan Shipka on Smoking, Eye Rolls, and What’s Next for Poor Sally Draper