It has not been a good 24 hours for Mitt Romney. First, Ohio attorney general Mike DeWine withdrew his endorsement of the former Massachusetts governor and backed dark horse du jour Rick Santorum. “I bought into the argument that [Romney] was the best candidate to win in the fall," DeWine told the Times, but "he’s just not connecting." He now believes, contrary to most polls, that Santorum "has by far the best chance of being elected president and beating Barack Obama." Following on that, today Romney's hard-on-immigration Arizona co-chair, Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu, resigned over reports that he tried to deport his Mexican male ex-lover, after he refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement regarding their affair. And to top the whole campaign nightmare off, Ron Paul has wracked up another 110 votes from uncounted Maine caucus sites and halved Romney's already razor-thin victory margin there. Right about now Romney must be thanking his lucky stars that he, his campaign, and his super PAC are so loaded, because it sometimes seems like money's all that's standing between his candidacy and the emergency exit.
Photo: Alex Wong/2012 Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!