Cherie Blair, the wife of former U.K. prime minister Tony Blair, has decided to sue Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers Ltd. and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire over phone hacking, the Telegraph reports. Dozens of initial phone-hacking cases have already been settled by News Corp., with singer Charlotte Church, the lone holdout of the first batch, expected to come to an agreement this week, thus avoiding a High Court trial. But the Blairs represent a special case, both because of their international standing and their personal relationship with the Murdoch family: Tony Blair is the godfather of Rupert and Wendi Murdoch's youngest daughter, and attended her baptism on the banks of the Jordan River. Even if this case is settled easily, the true fallout won't be known until Christmas-card time.
Photo: Justin Sullivan/2011 Getty Images
- 1. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 2. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. True Blood’s Kristin Bauer van Straten on the Pam-Tara Sex Scene We All Missed
- 5. Fucking on the First Date? How It Worked Out for 8 Women
- 6. Obama: I’m Not Dick Cheney, and Syria Isn’t Iraq
- 7. Rosen on Kanye West’s Yeezus: The Least Sexy Album of 2013
- 8. Mad Men Recap: The Importance of Being Bob
- 9. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]