Cherie Blair, the wife of former U.K. prime minister Tony Blair, has decided to sue Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers Ltd. and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire over phone hacking, the Telegraph reports. Dozens of initial phone-hacking cases have already been settled by News Corp., with singer Charlotte Church, the lone holdout of the first batch, expected to come to an agreement this week, thus avoiding a High Court trial. But the Blairs represent a special case, both because of their international standing and their personal relationship with the Murdoch family: Tony Blair is the godfather of Rupert and Wendi Murdoch's youngest daughter, and attended her baptism on the banks of the Jordan River. Even if this case is settled easily, the true fallout won't be known until Christmas-card time.
Photo: Justin Sullivan/2011 Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 3. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 4. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 5. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 6. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Mexican Gunmen Who Stole Truck Will ‘Without a Doubt’ Die From Radiation
- 9. Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid — Men or Women?