Mitt Romney's blowout victory in the Nevada caucuses over the weekend has been widely chalked up to the state's large Mormon population — about a quarter of all voters were Mormon — which further boosted a candidacy already dominating the national polls. But, obviously, Donald Trump is pretty sure it was his endorsement:
“There was a lot riding on that particular race in Nevada and it was interesting, because the numbers were much, much greater than you thought,” Trump said during an interview on Fox News. “And a lot of people are giving me credit for that. And I will accept that credit.”
As ridiculous as that statement is — for the record, literally nobody has suggested that Trump deserves credit for anything that happened in Nevada — Romney's victory is hardly the first thing that Trump has taken credit for. Here's an almost certainly not comprehensive list:
- A (nonexistent) dip in Mitt Romney's poll numbers in December
- Michele Bachmann's exit from the presidential race
- Rosie O'Donnell leaving The View
- The success of Trace Adkins's "You're Gonna Miss This"
- Forcing President Obama to release his long-form birth certificate
- Finding Osama bin Laden in Pakistan
- Lady Gaga
Okay, we made up that last one.