AOL will sell Microsoft more than 800 patents for $1.056 billion, with a plan to return a "significant portion of the sale proceeds" to shareholders. The once-booming Internet company will keep about 300 patents related to advertising, search, and maps, but will license its remaining patents to Microsoft, while retaining perpetual licenses to the ones they're selling. Upon the announcement today, AOL shares went up 37 percent before trading, so tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999.
- 1. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 5. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 6. Arrested Development’s 20 Most Meta Meta-Moments
- 7. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 8. Oklahoma Woman Has to Leave State Now, Forever, Thanks to Wolf Blitzer
- 9. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig