Officer Eder Loor was critically injured today when a man suffering from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder stabbed him in the temple with a knife. Ray Kelly said Loor was "conscious and alert" when he arrived at the hospital for surgery, and that the doctor was "cautiously optimistic." The suspect's mother reportedly called the police to take her son, 28-year-old Terrance Hale, to the hospital, but says she asked the officers to wait for backup before they tried to move him. According to the Times, "She said her son was behaving appropriately as the police escorted him until the officers got rough with him and pushed him against a storefront." Witnesses heard Hale say, "Take your hands off me. Don't touch me." He has at least four prior arrests, including one charge for assault with a knife.
Photo: Spencer Platt/Getty Images
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 5. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 6. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 7. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 8. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- 9. Kids in the Hall Alum Scott Thompson on Hannibal and Why Being Gay Is Now Boring