On Meet the Press yesterday, David Axelrod insisted that President Obama was "apoplectic" about the GSA's Vegas party scandal. As far as we can tell, it was the very first time that Obama, who usually appears cool and calm in public, has been associated with apoplexy. However, states of extreme anger, or a synonym for extreme anger, are not uncommon for Obama, according to aides, news reports, and Obama himself. Herewith, a brief history:
- According to CBS News, "The White House has out the word that Mr. Obama was 'furious'" about the Air Force's low-altitute fly-by of the State of Liberty.
- The AP reported that, according to an official, "Obama was furious with Democrat Martha Coakley for what many in Washington saw as inept handling of a once-sure victory for the seat long held by Kennedy."
- The Times reported that Obama was "incensed" that Israel "announced new Jewish housing units in Jerusalem during a visit to Israel by Vice President "
- Press Secretary Robert Gibbs claimed that Obama was "enraged" at the time it took to stop the oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico.
- The AP reported that, also in response to the Air Force's fly-by of the Statue of Liberty, "White House officials said Obama was fuming mad."
- According to the Wall Street Journal, "U.S. officials described President Barack Obama as 'livid' over the treatment of Mr. Biden in Jerusalem."
As far as we can tell, Obama has never been "mad as a wet hen."