Seems Amazon's bookstore-annihilating creep has now even reached the Strand, its totebag-toting clientele, and, let's not forget, its unusually unionized workforce. (They are members of The United Auto Workers.) The Times' CityRoom reports that a vote is slated this week on a new contract for the store's employees (who've been without one since September) that would freeze pay, take away over half their personal days, and decrease health-care benefits. "We don’t want anything near what they’re offering," said one 22-year-old employee who is, at least, protected from the even sharper cuts faced by newly-hired workers. With the contract likely to be voted down, Occupy Wall Streeters are getting involved, not that the Strand is your everyday run-of-the-mill exploitative conglomerate.
Photo: J. Kempin
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 5. Gay Man Fatally Shot in Greenwich Village in Alleged Hate Crime
- 6. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 7. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 8. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 9. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!