Commerce Secretary John Bryson has stepped down following a bizarre hit-and-run (and then a second car accident) that he said was caused by a seizure. "This is a critical period for our country's economy," Bryson wrote in a resignation letter to President Obama yesterday. "I have concluded that the seizure I suffered on June 9th could be a distraction from my performance as Secretary and that our country would be better served by a change in leadership of the Department." He will be replaced for now by his deputy, Rebecca Blank. "I want to extend my deepest thanks and appreciation to John for his service over the past months, and wish him and his family the very best," Obama said in a statement. Although police said they were investigating the first crash as a potential felony, drugs and alcohol were not suspected in the accident(s) and Bryson has not been charged.
Photo: Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images
- 1. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 2. Patrick Stewart Rescued a Baby Bird in Park Slope
- 3. This Is What a Two-Mile-Wide Tornado Did to Moore, Oklahoma [Updated]
- 4. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 5. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 6. The Beauty School for Former Sex Slaves
- 7. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 8. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 9. Cannes Weekend: Jennifer Lawrence’s Grand Entrance