The city's Department of Education is standing by Greta Hawkins, the principal of PS 90, who recently decided to switch up the musical portion of her kindergarten class's moving-up ceremony. They were set to sing "Proud to be an American" —a real crowd-pleaser and tear-jerker at this mostly immigrant school — but Hawkins was wary of "offend[ing] other cultures." (Several years ago, Hawkins tried, unsuccessfully, to do away with the daily Pledge of Allegiance and "America the Beautiful" regimen.) The Department of Education also offered an alternate explanation to the New York Post, one that none of the school's staff had heard: Hawkins believed the lyrics "too grown-up" for the 5-year-olds. So she went with something appropriate for all ages: Justin Bieber's "Baby."
Photo: Ethan Miller/2007 Getty Images
- 1. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 2. True Blood’s Kristin Bauer van Straten on the Pam-Tara Sex Scene We All Missed
- 3. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 4. Obama: I’m Not Dick Cheney, and Syria Isn’t Iraq
- 5. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 6. Rosen on Kanye West’s Yeezus: The Least Sexy Album of 2013
- 7. Fucking on the First Date? How It Worked Out for 8 Women
- 8. Male Gaze: Watch Henry Cavill Pump Iron
- 9. Mad Men Recap: The Importance of Being Bob