The science world was turned upside down in December of 2010 when it was announced that a maverick form of bacteria in California's Mono Lake was thriving on arsenic and none of the other six elements (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorous, and sulfur) considered essential to life. But the claim was viewed skeptically, and now two new buzzkill studies published in Science conclude that the bacteria doesn't subsist on arsenic after all. Scientists remain impressed, however, that some forms of life can survive on Taco Bell alone.
Photo: David McNew/Getty Images
- 1. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- 4. Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- 5. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 6. The Office Finale Recap: That’s All She Said
- 7. Cannes: Paris Hilton Cried While Watching The Bling Ring
- 8. Jean Paul Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- 9. Which Moment on The Office Finale Choked You Up?