Representative Barney Frank wed his longtime partner, James Ready, in a ceremony at the Boston Marriott hotel last night. Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick officiated, and attendees included fellow Massachusetts congressman Niki Tsongas and Nancy Pelosi, but not the Obamas and their buzzkill Secret Service detail. Press was not allowed inside, but Frank was spotted wearing a traditional black tuxedo and "beaming" as he greeted guests. The event makes Frank, who will retire at the end of this term, the first sitting member of the House to marry someone of the same gender. Speaking to New York about his wedding plans back in April, Frank explained that he wanted to get married while still in office because, "I think it’s important that my colleagues interact with a married gay man."
Photo: Christopher Anderson/Christopher Anderson/ Magnum
- 1. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 2. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 3. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 4. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 5. Kate Middleton "Dares" to Wear a Dress Three Times
- 6. The Heritage Uncertainty Principle
- 7. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 8. A Ranking of 11 Movie Franchises, TV Shows, and Book Series That Ended in 2013
- 9. Watch Amy Poehler and Billy Eichner Force People to Sing Christmas Carols on the Street