Representative Barney Frank wed his longtime partner, James Ready, in a ceremony at the Boston Marriott hotel last night. Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick officiated, and attendees included fellow Massachusetts congressman Niki Tsongas and Nancy Pelosi, but not the Obamas and their buzzkill Secret Service detail. Press was not allowed inside, but Frank was spotted wearing a traditional black tuxedo and "beaming" as he greeted guests. The event makes Frank, who will retire at the end of this term, the first sitting member of the House to marry someone of the same gender. Speaking to New York about his wedding plans back in April, Frank explained that he wanted to get married while still in office because, "I think it’s important that my colleagues interact with a married gay man."
Photo: Christopher Anderson/Christopher Anderson/ Magnum
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 5. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 6. Miami Heat Fans Leave Game Early, Beg to Get Back in After Incredible Rally, Are the Worst
- 7. Serena Williams Issues Pathetic Non-Apology [Updated]
- 8. Serena Williams Thinks Steubenville Rape Victim ‘Shouldn’t Have Put Herself in That Position’ [Update]
- 9. Trent Franks’s Abortion Bill Passes the House, With One Last Gaffe