On a day meant for hot dogs and patriotic beer cans, at least twelve people were shot in New York City between 5 p.m. and midnight. Gunshots pierced the firework sounds from Brooklyn to Manhattan to the Bronx, leaving at least one person dead and way too many injured. The day started off with mayhem in the morning as well, when an MTA officer shot and killed a man who had stabbed him in the eye. Later, an NYPD officer was shot in the chest on the Lower East Side — becoming the ninth officer hit this year — and while he was saved by his Kevlar vest, the gunman is still on the loose. The holiday violence comes after a scorching week in which 60 people were victims of gunfire. New York City, it's summer — you're doing it wrong!
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 3. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 4. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 5. Seven Ways Tonight’s The Sound of Music Will Differ From the Classic Film
- 6. James Bond Shoots Child in Today’s Most Unfortunate Subway Ad Placement
- 7. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 8. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 9. What Thirteen People Wore to Their Interview With Anna Wintour