Last night, three thieves hammered their way into the 35th Street Beauty Supply in Chicago's Bronzeville neighborhood, making off with $230,000 (or six duffel bags' worth) of natural hair extensions. This is part of a veritably hairy crime wave sweeping the nation. In spring of 2011 alone, at least $405,000 worth of hair extensions were stolen nationwide, the New York Times discovered, with almost a quarter of the thefts taking place in Chicago. Ah, the dirty underbelly of the Big Luscious Hair economy.
Photo: Joe Corrigan/2012 Getty Images
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 5. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 6. Trent Franks’s Abortion Bill Passes the House, With One Last Gaffe
- 7. Serena Williams Thinks Steubenville Rape Victim ‘Shouldn’t Have Put Herself in That Position’ [Update]
- 8. Miami Heat Fans Leave Game Early, Beg to Get Back in After Incredible Rally, Are the Worst
- 9. Fucking on the First Date? How It Worked Out for 8 Women