None of them can find work because the city's dismal unemployment rate is approaching 10 percent, leaving kids to fight against more experienced adults for low-level positions, all while youth job programs have been cut. A new report found that one in five New Yorkers between 18 and 24 are neither going to school nor employed, and face a "more challenging and unforgiving labor market than at any time since records have been kept." So that leaves backflips and fighting at McCarren Park Pool.
Photo: Mario Tama/2012 Getty Images
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 5. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 6. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 7. Tramp Stamps: A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?
- 8. This Is What a Two-Mile-Wide Tornado Did to Moore, Oklahoma [Updated]
- 9. Kate Middleton Still Acting Like a Total Commoner