Previous estimates suggested about $11.5 trillion is kept in tax havens, far from the clutches of account holders' governments; however, a new report from the Tax Justice Network puts the figure at $21 trillion to $32 trillion. The report's author estimates that $9.8 trillion, or roughly a third of all the money stashed in offshore accounts, is owned by just 92,000 people, or .0001 percent of the world's population. Apparently Mitt Romney doesn't think being associated with a group that's more exclusive than the 1 percent will help his campaign.
Photo: Nina Raingold/2009 Nina Raingold
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 4. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 5. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 8. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 9. Shonda Rhimes Talks Scandal’s Brutal Season 3 and the Issue of Likability