While Chase Manhattan Plaza, which is located a block from the New York Stock Exchange, has been open to the public for decades, owner JPMorgan Chase suddenly fenced off the plaza in September, right around the time that Occupy Wall Street protesters announced plans to hold a rally there. Over the past ten months, the bank has obtained permits to build even sturdier fences, supposedly as part of a renovation. Now critics are demanding to know why the plaza is still closed, and one person has even filed a lawsuit. JPMorgan Chase would love to tell us what's going on, but unfortunately it can't. The bank claims that if the public knew its reasons for building a fence and seemingly doing no other construction in the plaza, the space might become a terrorist target.
Photo: Chris Hondros/2009 Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!