At 6 p.m. Eastern Time today (5 p.m. Missoura time), the deadline passed for Todd Akin to remove himself from the ballot and allow a less embarrassing substitute to take his place. But all hope is not lost for the Republican Establishment, because the real deadline is September 25. If Akin gets court approval by then — and Missouri law says that such an order "shall be freely given" unless " good cause" can be shown by the "election authority" — then all Akin has to do is pay the cost of reprinting the ballots, and he's off. In other words, Akin has another month to prove he is not worthless, and the GOP has a month to convince him that yes, he is.
- 1. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 4. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 5. Game of Thrones Recap: Weddings and White Walkers
- 6. Justin Bieber Collects Award, Publicly Sulks, Gets Booed
- 7. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 8. New Crazy Black Republican Is Craziest Black Republican Yet
- 9. Weekend GOP Almost-Impeachment Update