A state Supreme Court judge has blocked Mayor Bloomberg's plan to sell medallions to a new class of outer-borough (and Upper Manhattan) livery cabs that could legally pick up street hails. While the ruling will blow a $635 million hole in the city's budget if it withstands an appeal, it won't exactly make a difference for people trying to grab a cab in, say, Brooklyn, since livery-cab drivers already have no problem picking people up off the street illegally.
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 3. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 4. Seitz: Look Past the Dragons in Game of Thrones
- 5. SNL Recap: Welcome Home, Ben Who-Fleck
- 6. Hofstra Student Killed by Police Bullet During Long Island Home Invasion
- 7. Kanye on SNL: Scowls, Screaming, The Waterboy
- 8. Tracing the Career of Tween-Lit Doyenne Judy Blume
- 9. East Williamsburg, Queens? Ridgewood, Brooklyn? WiRi?