New Yorkers have a tendency to freak out when wild animals are loose in our city, but curiously, a peacock has been wandering through Kew Gardens Hills for the past week and no one has claimed it, despite residents' calls to 911. All of the animals are accounted for at the Queens Zoo and the Queens Botanical Garden, but the New York Times might have identified the bird's home. Flushing's John Bowne High School keeps two peacocks as part of its agricultural program, and a spokeswoman for the New York City Education Department says, “It’s possible one got out ... We’re checking.” They're huge birds with blue and green feathers, if that helps.
Photo: JEAN-CHRISTOPHE VERHAEGEN/2011 AFP
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 3. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 4. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 5. Justin Bieber Collects Award, Publicly Sulks, Gets Booed
- 6. Game of Thrones Recap: Weddings and White Walkers
- 7. SNL Recap: Welcome Home, Ben Who-Fleck
- 8. Obama Administration’s War on Leakers Includes Reading Fox News’s E-mails
- 9. Weekend GOP Almost-Impeachment Update