Ticket sales for a 280-person event held at a West Des Moines country club amounted to $2 million — a state record, according to Romney’s Iowa campaign co-chairman. However, the success ended up overshadowed by Romney's repeated mispronunciation of the word "Sikh" as "sheik" while speaking about the victims of Sunday's shooting in Wisconsin — a particularly unfortunate mistake, given the recent discussion about certain people's tendency to confuse members of the South Asian religion with Muslims.
Photo: Justin Sullivan/2012 Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!