Billionaire Romney-backer Sheldon Adelson's Las Vegas casino company, Las Vegas Sands Corp., is at the center of a year-long money laundering investigation, The Wall Street Journal reports. Federal authorities say Sands officials should have alerted the government to large deposits made by two of their sketchier high-rollers: Chinese-born Mexican impresario turned drug trafficker Zhenli Ye Gon transferred $85 million to Sands casinos, and California retail-chain executive Ausaf Umar Siddiqui (now serving jail-time for taking illegal kickbacks) sent in more than $100 million. While it doesn't seem that Adelson himself is being investigated, we can't imagine that his many Republican beneficiaries are very pleased with the Justice Department's timing on this one.
Photo: Roslan Rahman/AFP/Getty Images
- 1. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- 4. Michelle Obama Has Retired Her Bangs
- 5. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 6. The Office Finale Recap: That’s All She Said
- 7. Cannes: Paris Hilton Cried While Watching The Bling Ring
- 8. Jean Paul Gaultier Explains the Eurovision Song Contest
- 9. Which Moment on The Office Finale Choked You Up?