Today's most disturbing gun-control debate contributor: David Berkowitz, a.k.a. Son of Sam, the serial killer who shot six people to death (and wounded seven) in New York in the late seventies. In a jail cell interview with the New York Daily News, Berkowitz — who is serving six consecutive 25-years-to-life sentences — said, "Society has to take the glory out of guns." He seemed less focused on the crimes that pushed the topic of firearms back into the news recently — the shootings in Aurora, Colorado, and at the Sikh Temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin — and more interested in the "gangbanging teens and wanna-bes" he's encountered during his time in prison. "My hope is just that young people would understand just how terrible this violence is. When they use a gun against someone else, they ruin their lives too," he said. "It’s not worth it." Neither, perhaps, is speaking to David Berkowitz about guns, but there you have it.
Photo: Al Aaronson/New York Daily News Archive/Getty Images
- 1. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 5. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 6. Arrested Development’s 20 Most Meta Meta-Moments
- 7. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 8. Oklahoma Woman Has to Leave State Now, Forever, Thanks to Wolf Blitzer
- 9. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig