Last night, a United flight carrying 173 Berlin-bound passengers was forced to return to Newark Liberty Airport after one of the plane's engines became overheated and caught on fire. The Boeing 757 circled the airport for around two hours (to burn off fuel) before landing safely, but that wasn't the end of the airline's Newark-based troubles this weekend: This morning, another United flight — this one headed to Seattle — came back to the airport after the crew reported smelling smoke in the cabin and cockpit. Again, the plane landed without incident or any injuries, though we can say that we do feel a little better about not getting out of town this weekend.
Photo: Justin Sullivan/2012 Getty Images
- 1. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 2. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. True Blood’s Kristin Bauer van Straten on the Pam-Tara Sex Scene We All Missed
- 5. Fucking on the First Date? How It Worked Out for 8 Women
- 6. Obama: I’m Not Dick Cheney, and Syria Isn’t Iraq
- 7. Rosen on Kanye West’s Yeezus: The Least Sexy Album of 2013
- 8. Mad Men Recap: The Importance of Being Bob
- 9. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]