Last night, a United flight carrying 173 Berlin-bound passengers was forced to return to Newark Liberty Airport after one of the plane's engines became overheated and caught on fire. The Boeing 757 circled the airport for around two hours (to burn off fuel) before landing safely, but that wasn't the end of the airline's Newark-based troubles this weekend: This morning, another United flight — this one headed to Seattle — came back to the airport after the crew reported smelling smoke in the cabin and cockpit. Again, the plane landed without incident or any injuries, though we can say that we do feel a little better about not getting out of town this weekend.
Photo: Justin Sullivan/2012 Getty Images
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 5. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 6. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 7. Tramp Stamps: A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?
- 8. This Is What a Two-Mile-Wide Tornado Did to Moore, Oklahoma [Updated]
- 9. Kate Middleton Still Acting Like a Total Commoner