Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez is usually pretty down on the United States, but today he took the time to put himself in the shoes of the country's citizens: "If I were American, I'd vote for Obama," he said in a TV interview. Chavez himself is up for re-election this year, and he ventured that if Obama were Venezuelan, "I think ... he'd vote for Chavez." On one hand, Chavez's endorsement of Obama seems a little undermining, as it's pretty much a ready-made Republican attack ad. On the other hand, he expressed a desire for "a new period of normal relations with the government of the United States," so maybe he just reads the polls.
Photo: JIM WATSON/2009 AFP
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 3. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 4. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 5. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 6. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 7. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 8. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!
- 9. Here’s Kim Kardashian’s ‘Jubilant,’ Frolicking Post-Baby Reveal