This Sunday, Mormons throughout Utah, Nevada, California, and Colorado will embark on a daylong fast so that Mitt Romney will "be blessed in the debates." At least that's the plan, according to a mass e-mail forwarded to Buzzfeed's McKay Coppins. "From small things, great things can come about," the e-mail's author adds, predicting the obvious rejoinder that God almost certainly has better things to do with His Almighty time. "I know that fasting and praying brings about miracles." But Mormons aren't the only ones praying for Mitt. Florida evangelical group Heaven Is Easy Ministries has sent out mailers — including one to Joanna Brooks at Religion Dispatches magazine — calling for "worldwide prayer for Mitt Romney to reject Joseph Smith as a prophet and admit the Book of Mormon is false."
Photo: George Frey/2011 Getty Images
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 4. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 5. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 8. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 9. Seven Ways Tonight’s The Sound of Music Will Differ From the Classic Film