Conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly announced the Gingrich fund-raiser at a Tuesday campaign event for incumbent Missouri senator Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin, reports Jason Rosenbaum of the St. Louis Beacon. This isn't out of left field, though: When everyone including Karl Rove called for Akin's head (Rove later apologized for jokingly suggesting murder) during the backlash over Akin's ridiculous remarks on rape and abortion, Newt Gingrich came to Akin's defense. "Todd Akin was a choice for people in Missouri, and Todd Akin has publicly apologized," Gingrich said. According to figures from Real Clear Politics, Democratic challenger Claire McCaskill currently holds a 48 to 42.7 percent advantage over Akin in the crucial Senate race.
Photo: Daniel Acker/Bloomberg via Getty Images
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode