On Sunday, Governor Jerry Brown announced that he's signed a bill that bans "conversion" therapy for anyone under 18, making California the first state to prohibit the form of psychotherapy. Some conservative groups have argued that the move violates parents' rights to provide help for gender-confused kids. However, several mainstream mental health organizations in California have denounced the therapies, which Brown says "have no basis in science or medicine and ... will now be relegated to the dustbin of quackery."
Photo: MARIA BELEN PEREZ GABILONDO/2009 AFP
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 3. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 4. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 5. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Mexican Gunmen Who Stole Truck Will ‘Without a Doubt’ Die From Radiation
- 9. Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid — Men or Women?