The New York Aquarium's newest resident — Mitik, a walrus calf found dehydrated and with an infected bladder off the coast of Alaska in July — is settling into his new home quite nicely, thanks to a 15-member support team and his favorite bucket toy (which appears at the 0:42 mark.) However, the staff of the Coney Island-based aquarium wants to make sure his transition isn't too smooth. As the behavioral husbandry supervisor told the New York Times: "We want to make sure that we don’t give him so much contact that the day he actually meets his buddies he’s more interested in us than the other walruses. He needs to know he’s a walrus."
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 5. Gay Man Fatally Shot in Greenwich Village in Alleged Hate Crime
- 6. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 7. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 8. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 9. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!