The Department of Education tells NY1 that at least 30 schools have reported looting since Hurricane Sandy, with mostly electronic equipment targeted, including about $100,000 worth of gear from Scholars' Academy in the Rockaways. "We discovered that approximately 90 iPads were stolen and six to 10 iMacs," said the principal, along with two defibrillators — on top of the destruction done by the actual storm. Paired with reports of busted piggy banks, the futures of the city's children are collateral damage.
Photo: Spencer Platt/2012 Getty Images
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 4. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 5. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 8. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 9. Shonda Rhimes Talks Scandal’s Brutal Season 3 and the Issue of Likability