Brave anti-communist crusader and crazy Florida congressman Allen West has been declared the loser in his tight race against challenger Patrick Murphy. This is not a surprise to most, as Murphy took credit for the win on Wednesday morning, when — with 100 percent of precincts reporting — he led West by 2,456 votes, or .74 of the electorate. In Florida, recounts are triggered when the winning margin is .5 percent or less, but West started demanding one anyway, citing "unanswered questions" in St. Lucie county. This morning, the state issued "complete but unofficial results showing Murphy with a lead of 2,442 votes, or 50.4 percent." Though "a handful" of overseas and military ballots haven't been counted, Florida law says any a decision to do a recount would be based on today's numbers. Murphy put out a statement asking West to put the election behind him, but West still refuses to concede. "We're simply not going to just walk away from the race until we see that the numbers add up," his campaign manager said. They're now asking for polling station sign-in books, which the campaign wants to review to ensure that some votes were not counted twice. Of course, there's no evidence to suggest that this happened, but West has never let reality get in his way.
Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 3. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 4. Dan Harmon Got Rehired for Community for the Same Reason He Got Fired
- 5. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 6. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 7. Serena Williams Issues Pathetic Non-Apology [Updated]
- 8. Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced to Prison [Updated]
- 9. Mad Men’s Kiernan Shipka on Smoking, Eye Rolls, and What’s Next for Poor Sally Draper