With 47,000 would-be marathoners with nothing to do tomorrow, many are tapping their pent-up energies to help out communities still recovering from Hurricane Sandy. One Facebook group (with 1,577 likes) is organizing a run in support of Staten Island tomorrow; 40 Dutch marathoners meanwhile have traveled over to ravaged Newark to help, according to mayor Cory Booker; and a new website, Race 2 Recover, offers marathon runners and their families a way to donate unused hotel rooms to victims of the storm.
Photo: Spencer Platt/Getty Images
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 5. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 6. Trent Franks’s Abortion Bill Passes the House, With One Last Gaffe
- 7. Serena Williams Thinks Steubenville Rape Victim ‘Shouldn’t Have Put Herself in That Position’ [Update]
- 8. Miami Heat Fans Leave Game Early, Beg to Get Back in After Incredible Rally, Are the Worst
- 9. Journalist Michael Hastings, Who Profiled Stanley McChrystal, Has Died