With 47,000 would-be marathoners with nothing to do tomorrow, many are tapping their pent-up energies to help out communities still recovering from Hurricane Sandy. One Facebook group (with 1,577 likes) is organizing a run in support of Staten Island tomorrow; 40 Dutch marathoners meanwhile have traveled over to ravaged Newark to help, according to mayor Cory Booker; and a new website, Race 2 Recover, offers marathon runners and their families a way to donate unused hotel rooms to victims of the storm.
Photo: Spencer Platt/Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 3. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 4. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 5. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. Seven Ways Tonight’s The Sound of Music Will Differ From the Classic Film
- 8. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 9. James Bond Shoots Child in Today’s Most Unfortunate Subway Ad Placement