Following the accidental shooting of a 5-year-old girl in the Bronx, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly sounded a lot like Mayor Bloomberg. "We can never accept the shooting of a child as a part of city life," he said yesterday, according to the Daily News, in an impassioned plea to the nation's lawmakers about gun control. "We can never accept the notion that somehow children are going to be a part of the casualty count, whether somebody else is targeted or not. Children are not supposed to be collateral damage." And it's not just a local problem: "Maybe the city most affected [by guns] is Chicago," Kelly added. "The President's hometown. But barely a peep out of him." Chicago mayor and former Obama chief of staff Rahm Emanuel is part of Bloomberg's Mayors Against Illegal Guns coalition, but it sounds like Kelly is also recruiting him for the tragedy-induced chorus of those needling the president in public.
Photo: Allison Joyce/Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 3. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 4. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 5. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 6. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 7. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 8. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!