The Republican Party rallied around Todd Akin in the final weeks of the campaign, but voters in Missouri weren't as quick to forgive the man who coined the term "legitimate rape," then tried to defend himself by saying his opponent isn't "ladylike," comparing her to a dog, and posting a photo of a fetus on his website. CBS News and NBC News have called the race for Claire McCaskill, sending her back to the Senate for a second term. An Associated Press exit poll found that a majority of voters in Missouri gave the comment some consideration when casting their ballot, confirming that the offensive remark was what shut that whole thing down for Akin.
Photo: Whitney Curtis/Getty Images2012 Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 3. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 4. How to Have Sex in Communal Living Spaces
- 5. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 6. Atheist Billboard in Times Square Specifically Designed to Make Sarah Palin’s Head Explode
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Is This the World’s Worst Selfie?
- 9. Why You’re So Sad About Paul Walker’s Death