When the Archdiocese of New York announced on Tuesday that it would close 24 schools throughout its jurisdiction, it followed news earlier this month that New York City would be shuttering 17 schools. But while the city is closing schools that under-perform academically, the Catholic church is closing schools it can't afford, The New York Times reports. "Because finances were the most significant factor in the decisions, schools filled with children from poor and immigrant families will be hit hard." If you think that's depressing, don't click through to the article and read the detail about the students crying during their Regents exams.
Photo: John Moore/2012 Getty Images
- 1. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 2. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. True Blood’s Kristin Bauer van Straten on the Pam-Tara Sex Scene We All Missed
- 5. Fucking on the First Date? How It Worked Out for 8 Women
- 6. Obama: I’m Not Dick Cheney, and Syria Isn’t Iraq
- 7. Rosen on Kanye West’s Yeezus: The Least Sexy Album of 2013
- 8. Mad Men Recap: The Importance of Being Bob
- 9. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]