Chuck Hagel, Obama's nominee for secretary of Defense, has already been called a homophobe and a foe to Israel, and now some have found another fault with the president's recent picks: They're all white men. With the recent nominations of John Kerry for secretary of State and John Brennan for director of the CIA, as well as a short list for Treasury secretary that doesn't appear to include any women, the Washington Post notes that Obama may wind up with a group that's less diverse than the Cabinet in his first term, or even George W. Bush's Cabinet. When questioned about the increasingly homogenous national security team, White House press secretary Jay Carney said the president "insists on diversity on the lists that he considers for the job" but "in the end he’ll make the choice that he believes is best for the United States.” Apparently he resisted the urge to point out that Obama's attempt to nominate another woman to replace Hillary Clinton didn't go over too well.
Photo: Junko Kimura/AFP/Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 3. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 4. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 5. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 6. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 7. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 8. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!
- 9. Here’s Kim Kardashian’s ‘Jubilant,’ Frolicking Post-Baby Reveal