Though New York City escaped the blizzard mostly unscathed, there was one storm-related casualty: 8-year-old Aschton Charles was asleep in his Flatbush home on Friday night when a space heater — the only source of warmth for the two-story building's s eight residents — set fire to a couch. The blaze spread quickly, gutting the house and killing the boy. A neighbor described the horrible scene to the New York Daily News: "It was all white, I could not see anything. But you could smell the smoke. I then heard a piercing scream I will never forget."
Photo: New York Daily News Archive/2006/Daily News, L.P. (New York)
- 1. Politico Stonewalls Mike Allen Payola Scandal
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 4. Finally, See Kate Moss’s Photos for Playboy
- 5. Watch a New Archer Training Video About Ninjas
- 6. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 7. 40 Men That Men Find Beautiful
- 8. Why You’re So Sad About Paul Walker’s Death
- 9. Is Jennifer Lawrence Katniss-ing Us?