New York's most famous cupcake producer has been closed since Thursday, when the Health Department discovered mouse droppings and holes in the West Village flagship store. Company spokeswoman Sara Gramling claimed that the infestation was limited to the basement, and therefore did not affect the food prep or service areas. It did, however, affect the frosting-laced dreams of the tourists who flock to the Sex and the City staple: "I can’t believe I came all the way from Pittsburgh for a rat-cake! Too gross!" complained one Dave Harshbarger to the New York Post. The bakery is now trying to guilt patrons out of their grossed-outedness by attributing their vermin visitors to Hurricane Sandy: "Because of the flooding, a lot of mice have moved inward, and that was the issue that was found in the basement," explained Gramling. Unfortunately, that's not really a valid excuse.
Photo: Courtesy of Magnolia Bakery
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 5. Gay Man Fatally Shot in Greenwich Village in Alleged Hate Crime [Updated]
- 6. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 7. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 8. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 9. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!