As Rupert Murdoch's company continues to settle phone-hacking cases out of court, it's opting to shut down the voluntary compensation scheme it was using as a "speedy, cost effective alternative to litigation" for victims. While additional civil claims are still a possibility, more than a year of paying out damages with little resistance is all Murdoch can muster. Speak now or forever hold your peace.
Photo: Scott Barbour/Getty Images
- 1. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 2. Patrick Stewart Rescued a Baby Bird in Park Slope
- 3. This Is What a Two-Mile-Wide Tornado Did to Moore, Oklahoma [Updated]
- 4. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 5. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 6. The Beauty School for Former Sex Slaves
- 7. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 8. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 9. Cannes Weekend: Jennifer Lawrence’s Grand Entrance